Tax Free Childcare – Is it for Me?

  • For working families, including the self-employed, in the UK
  • With children under 12 (or under 17 if disabled)
  • For every £8 you pay in, the government will add an extra £2, up to £2,000 per child

If you’re a working parent with children under 12 (or under 17 for disabled children) earning less than £100,000, you can open an online account to pay for registered childcare and for every £8 you pay in, the government will add an extra £2.  You can receive up to £2,000 per child, or £4,000 if disabled.

You, and any partner, must each expect to earn (on average) at least £120 per week (equal to 16 hours at the National Minimum or Living Wage).  If you, or your partner, are on maternity, paternity or adoption leave, or you’re unable to work because you are disabled or have caring responsibilities, you could still be eligible.

Tax Free Childcare can be used alongside the 15 hours and 30 hours schemes however cannot be used at the same time as childcare vouchers, Universal Credit or tax credits.

You can use it to help pay for:

  • Registered childminders, nurseries and nannies
  • Registered after-school clubs and playschemes
  • Registered schools
  • Home careworkers working for a registered home care agency

For further information, please visit

Download prospectus